Saturday, October 27, 2012


Reflection

 Distance education dates back to the 1800’s with roots going as far back as 160 years. Distance learning has changed from correspondence courses, to educational radio, one and two-way teleconferencing, educational television, video conferencing, and to computer assisted/Web-based interactive learning opportunities (Kaufman & Watkins, 200). Certainly, distance education has experienced growth and change recently, but the long traditions of the field continue to give it direction for the future (Simonson, Smaldino, Albright, & Zvacek 2012). 

 What do you think the perceptions of distance learning will be in the future (in 5–10 years; 10–20 years)?

 I believe that distance education will continue to grow since it is in high demand.  Teachers will continue to use technology to enhance learning beyond their traditional classrooms.  Recently, a number of advances have been made in the study of learning and teaching that are providing educators with strategies for improving the education experience (Simonson, et al., 2012).  In this course I learned about the three models of distance learning.  These models are web-facilitated courses, hybrid/blended courses, and online courses.  Each model differs in the percentage of how much of the course is taught online.  I believe that there will be and has been a push for more hybrid courses where teachers are using technology to go beyond the traditional classroom.  However, I do not believe that traditional face-to-face courses will ever be obsolete. Distance learning is a way to communicate with diverse and global groups and learners are beginning to have a growing since of comfort.  Distance learning is also benefitting corporations by allowing them to integrate with different offices around the world (Siemens, 2012).  In the next 20 years I see distance learning as being part of many classrooms around the world.  While technology is rapidly changing I believe the modules to distance learning are evolving as well.  I believe there will be more technology tools offered along with the forever changing technology.   Our lives are getting busier and busier and with that distance education is gaining in popularity.  In the future I see more courses being offered in distance education to a greater array of learners.   

 How can you as an instructional designer be a proponent for improving societal perceptions of distance learning?

 As an instructional designer and a proponent for improving societal perception of distance learning, I must make sure that I am staying current with technology.  I must make sure that I am also learning the new technology tools and new ways of offering courses.  I must have the research to back up my data, and for implementing the different modules required for distance education.    

 How will you be a positive force for continuous improvement in the field of distance education?

I will be a positive force for continuous improvements in the field of distance education by understanding my learners, the attributes of a successful distance learner and by understanding the foundations of distance education.   I feel that I have gained a great deal of knowledge about distance learning.  I look forward to designing educational experiences to meet the needs of many different learners. 

 

Recourses

 

Kaufman, R., Watkins, R. (2000). Assuring the future for distance learning. Retrieved from http://megaplanning.com/articles/DEfuture.pdf

 


Simonson, M., Smaldino, S., Albright, M., & Zvacek, S. (2012). Teaching and learning at a distance: Foundations of distance education (5th ed.) Boston, MA: Pearson.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment